We invest in compelling teams who are innovating in areas that excite us. We like distinctive businesses that are relevant to our experience and contacts and complement our existing portfolio, but we also enjoy learning about new technologies.
Areas of particular interest include: cyber security, fintech, AI/machine learning, health tech, ed tech, IoT, robotics & enterprise solutions.
OUR INVESTMENT CRITERIA:
- Your technology startup has an innovative solution to an important global problem in areas including healthtech, AI/machine learning, data analytics, fintech, cybersecurity or edtech.
- You have at least one woman on your founding team (no sole founders please), with relevant experience and a strong vision for the future of your business.
- You have a working product, business model and market traction. For B2C businesses and marketplaces, we would expect to see significant revenue.
- You are well aware of your competition, clearly differentiated from it and with good barriers to entry, eg proprietary technology.
- You are addressing a very large global market and can articulate how you will return a minimum 10X to investors within 3-7 years.
- You are a UK business with a £500k - £10m pre-money valuation and eligible for SEIS and/or EIS tax relief.
- You are raising £150,000-£5,000,000 of equity investment.
- You are able and willing to work with external advisors.
OUR INVESTMENT PROCESS:
Our process ensures our investors see pre-screened, high quality and relevant opportunities while maximising the potential for entrepreneurs to successfully raise investment with us.
Over 80% of the businesses who come through our screening process and pitch to our angels receive funding from them, although of course the amount varies from deal to deal (£50k-£350k typically) and nothing is guaranteed.
Step 1: Online application
We can only accept applications made online. We read all the applications we receive, but we cannot provide individual feedback.
We estimate that the application will take 30-60 minutes to complete and questions are designed to give us the information we need to assess whether your business is a good fit for our investors.
Step 2: In-person screening session
If we consider your business a good fit for our investors, you'll be invited to one of our screening sessions. At each session, we invite 8-10 female founders to meet members of the Angel Academe team as well as angel investors from our network. The sessions consist of moderated conversations rather than presentations and combine peer and expert mentoring. Our aim is to get to know you and your business and for you to meet some of our investors informally.
Step 3: Review
Several angels from the network help us review the applications that have come through screening and whittle it down to the 3-4 companies who will be invited to present at our next pitch event. Review happens over the course of a week a few weeks before each pitch event, so it may be some time between making your application and hearing from us.
Step 4: Pre-meeting
Shortlisted companies are then required to attend a pre-meeting with us 1-2 weeks prior to the pitch event. This is a chance for us to give you some background to the group, share feedback and help you fine-tune your pitch for our investors. You will also meet the other entrepreneurs presenting.
Step 5: Quarterly pitch events
We run quarterly angel “Studios”, in which 3-4 startups that have come through our screening process pitch to our angels. Each company has 10 mins to pitch, 10 mins for Q&A and an opportunity to network informally with the angels at the end of the evening. We usually have about 40 angels attending each event.
Step 6: Investment
Where possible, we aim to close investments within 8 weeks of the pitch event.
Fees. We charge a 5% success fee on all investment raised plus reasonable legal expenses if appropriate.